How To Install
Facebook Comments To Your Blog Posts
My wife asked me a question about this topic yesterday. After a bit of research Steven, my brother and I found the solution. We showed her how and she was very happy.
If you have a WordPress blog, that is the easier way, there is a plugin that looks after the code you must use. Those of you with a blog that is not WordPress, your safe, the code is simple, but the process is a few steps more and we have laid it out for you in easy to understand steps.
Be sure to let us know if you have problems with your site. I am sure it’s an easy fix!
Installing WordPress Plug
Here are the steps in order:
- Login to WordPress to a site you are the Admin
- Hover your mouse over the Plugins tab
- Go to Add Plugins
- Search for: Facebook Comments
- The search term “is” the plug in name exactly! Install it!
- Hover your mouse over the Settings tab
- Select “Facebook Comments”
- Aside: If you went back to the Plugins page –>select “settings” in the “Facebook Comments” Plugin! The same location is reached.
- The “Facebook Comments Options” page is displayed (So named as of Aug/2012)
- Scroll down and study the page.
- Do not touch a thing unless you know what your doing! *Said in a friendly tone*
- In the “Initial Setup Via Facebook” section follow the link to “create an app to handle your comments” or go here
- At the Top select “Create a new app” button.
- Enter a name that makes sense to you for App Name and a name for App Namespace. Can be anything you like!
- After that Facebook requires a mobile phone or credit card number. We put in a mobile number.
- That phone will be sent a text message with a code. Get it and return to mobile phone option link
- Enter the code and your FB App is verified that it was made by a real person and not a bot
- Go back to the window that launched the security requirement and press continue again and redue the security process
- Done. You should be on the page with your App. Enter your website url address in the tab: Website with Facebook Login.Example: http://yourdomain.com (without the WWW. part)
That’s the WordPress Route and now for the manual way!
Manual Way to any Website
To install a Facebook comment on your page, follow these simple steps:
- Go to http://developers.facebook.com/
- Go to the top of the page and click on ‘Docs’
- Under the heading ‘Core Concepts’, click on Social Plugins
- At the Social Plugins page, scroll down just a bit and click on ‘Comments’
- Once you are at the ‘Comments’ page, the first four paragraphs explain the features of the plugin. After the paragraphs, you will find four areas to fill out.
- Under the first box ‘URL to comment on’, type in the url or domain name of the web page or blog where you wish to have a comments section.
- Under ‘Number of posts’, type in the number of comments you want show. You can choose as many as you want but 5 to 10 is normal. If your page attracts a lot of comments, then you can increase the number to show how popular it is.
- Under ‘Width’, the minimum is 400 but you need to adjust it to the width of the column the article is on.
- The ‘Color’ scheme is defaulted to ‘light’ but you can try ‘dark’ also and see how it looks on your page.
Once you have done these steps, then simply go to your web page and check that the Facebook Comments section is there. This will greatly enhance your page and allow you to have a lot more viewers for your content.
Conclusions & Opinions
We really like the plugin for WordPress because it has given us the code for a global imput into already existing pages and allows those that have been archived to be resurrected. Yet, at the same time, the manual advantage allows much more control as to what article is allowed to be commented on via this Facebook method!
Was this article helpful to you? Please “LIKE” this post and tell us if you want more articles like this one!